Monday, June 14, 2010

Summer Vacation (?)

Why is it called "Summer Vacation" or "Summer Break"? The daughter may be on a vacation, but Mommy sure isn't! True, I have gotten my mornings back for a few weeks of bliss. An hour or two to myself to read, drink coffee and just plain chill out. The rest of the day I am stopping squabbles, and plain ol' knock-downs between the daughter and the son. She, who will be 6 in less than 3 months, and he will be 3 (10 days later). She, who has the will of a 16 yo and a mouth to match. What happened to my sweet baby girl?! True, there is fun to fill the summer days as well - swimming, slip n' sliding, the park, the library (which we have yet to visit since her week-long hospital stay for pneumonia 18 months ago). We have been to the zoo twice (membership long since paid for thank you very much) and to Build a Bear. Then I realized that I miscalculated, and rather than 5 more weeks, there are 7. So, should I look at it positively...7 more weeks of not rushing around to get the daughter to school on time, 7 more weeks of quiet mornings to myself, 7 more weeks of playing in the sun...or, what was I thinking about? True, they are loud, she has an attitude the size of Texas, they fuss, they fight, they whine, they complain, but would I really want it any other way. Life before kids seemed fun and relaxing. Life after kids...definitely more fun, relaxing??? not really, and it never will be, even when they are gone I won't relax! Saw a quote recently that I just love "When life throws you lemons, throw them back and demand chocolate!" There are no lemons when it comes to kids, just hiccups in the road of life. A few bumps along the way - illnesses, tears, broken dreams, unfulfilled wishes, late nights of worrying. The best things in life are not from a straight and narrow, perfectly smooth road. Lessons are learned, demons are exorcised. The daughter graduated from kindergarten - yes, I almost cried. She starts first grade in 7 weeks, and the son will follow in 2 years. I turn 42 next month, so no more babies for me. I am enjoying every free moment I have with both of them, until I return to work when the son starts kindergarten. I so hope to find a part time job when that happens, so I can continue to spend time with them. Sure, we need money, everyone does, but some things are more important. Hearing the daughter read a book to herself, seeing both kids blossom and grow into their own individuals, watching them peacefully sleeping, waiting very patiently for the son to talk (soon I hope!), seeing the joy and pride on his face when he uses the potty (:D). Yup, money can buy things that may or may not make us happy, but kids...kids are the ultimate happiness. I appreciate everything I have, and everything I have been given, especially the opportunity to be a stay at home Mom - no matter how temporary. Life is short, enjoy it while you can. Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift! I have rambled long enough. L8TR!

No comments:

Post a Comment